In honor of Pride month this past June, Emerald took a look at the history and cause behind the celebration. Throughout the month, Emerald’s HR team educated our internal employees about why Pride Month is so necessary by sharing information about the history of Pride, issues that people in the LGBTQ+ community face, and organizations that benefit the LGBTQ+ community.
Details that matter
To kick off the month our internal employees were given the opportunity to add their pronouns to their email signatures, as well as the chance to submit any Pride art they created! The Emerald team was also educated on the meaning behind the rainbow flag, and the history about how Pride Month began.
Check out our list of resources below for a small sampling of educational tools.
There are many issues faced by members of the LGBTQ+ community including complications of adoption, the overwhelming mistreatment of LGBTQ+ youth in foster care, the struggle of coming out, and the prevalence of hate crimes. Here is a list of organizations that are working toward change:
- Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
- Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD)
- National LGBT Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC)
- Pride at Work, and Gay & Lesbian Association of Retiring Persons (GLARP)
- GLBT Historical Society Museum & Archives
- Gay 50 States
- Making Gay History – The Podcast
- Human Rights Campaign
- Equality Institute provides the best-in-class LGBTQ+ inclusion training for small and mid-sized businesses.
View the amazing Pride month art submitted by Emerald employees!